Choosing the best goat feeder can be tricky if you don’t know what to consider. For instance, locally made feeders can spill or waste hay, which is not ideal for farmers and can be a headache for beginners.
Other options include feeding your herd manually or constructing custom feeders. However, these methods are not cost-effective and are time-consuming. Additionally, if you have a large pack, you will have to employ more workers, which can take a toll financially.
So what should we do? Using a goat feeder is an ideal way to minimize your expense and hay wastage. Since goat feeders have different variations, you can pick the right one for the job.
This article will run you through ten of the best goat feeders that you can buy in 2021. We have also provided a detailed buyer’s guide, which consists of what you need to consider before purchasing a goat feeder.
So without further ado, let’s get started.
- 1 What are goat feeders?
- 2 Why are goat feeders necessary?
- 3 Best Goat Feeders – Buyer’s Guide
- 4 Best goat feeders reviews
- 4.1 1. Gaun Sheep & Goat Single Feeder – Best Overall
- 4.2 2. Creative Co-Op Metal Trough Container
- 4.3 3. Behlen Country 74023327 8-feet V Trough Feeder
- 4.4 4. Fortiflex 2 Compartment Feeder
- 4.5 5. Priefert Feeder
- 4.6 6. Shires Haynet 2” Mesh Holes 1024
- 4.7 7. Little Giant Plastic Fence Feeder with Clips
- 4.8 8. Rugged Ranch feeder
- 4.9 9. Intrepid International Hay Rack-Wall Mounted
- 4.10 10. Shires Deluxe Net
- 5 Frequently asked questions
- 6 Final Thought
What are goat feeders?
Goat feeders are an excellent way of minimizing wastage and loss. Since a commercial goat farm spends 70% only on feeds, it becomes crucial to reduce feed wastage.
A goat feeder helps you avoid wastage and increases your farm’s productivity.
Why are goat feeders necessary?
Most commercial farms don’t allow goats to go out for grazing, which means you will have to install the feeding equipment within the compound. Here are some of the advantages of using goat feeders.
- It minimizes feed wastage
- It is a cost-effective feeding method
- Since it stays above the ground, your feed will not be contaminated by protozoa and bacteria
- It ensures good health for your herd
- It promotes your farm’s productivity
Best Goat Feeders – Buyer’s Guide
Goat feeders can increase your farm’s productivity and minimize wastage. However, choosing a suitable goat feeder can be tricky, and you have to evaluate various aspects before purchasing one.
To help you out, we have listed some of the crucial things you need to consider before buying a goat feeder.
The number of animals on your farm will play a crucial hand in determining how many feeders you will require. For instance, you can purchase a small feeder for a small herd, while a multiple feeding design will suffice for 4-5 goats.
Additionally, you will have to evaluate which design works for you best, depending on your herd size. It would be best to consider your herd size before purchasing a goat feeder.
Goat feeders have different styles and variations. You can choose between net bags, steel mesh, or wooden feeders, depending on your requirements.
However, you have to ensure that you choose the goat feeder after considering your farm size. For instance, if you have fewer mouths to feed, a small hay net bag would suffice your needs.
Likewise, if you have a commercial farm, you can employ the duties of heavy-duty steel mesh or net bags.
Choosing the suitable material can save you a lot and will also help in the farm’s productivity.
Apart from choosing durable materials, you must evaluate which feeder type provides the best value for your farm. For instance, if your herd includes many young animals, choosing a hanging goat feeder will ensure minimal wastage.
Likewise, floor-placing or wall-mounted goat feeders are perfect for adults. These goat feeders are also efficient in providing feed to 4-5 goats at a single time.
It would be best to consider the type you require by evaluating the above factors. If you want a goat feeder for young ones, the hanging goat feeder is an excellent choice.
Floor-placing or wall-mounted would be perfect for grownups.
As we mentioned earlier, a commercial farm spends 70% on feeds itself, which means you will have to carefully evaluate your expenditure to get the best value from your farm.
Since the material of a goat feeder determines its price, you can estimate your expenditure. However, like most products, a cheaper goat feeder may not suffice for your needs and provide value.
It would be best to invest in goat feeders that provide value for money so that you don’t incur a loss in the future.
Best goat feeders reviews
1. Gaun Sheep & Goat Single Feeder – Best Overall
If you are looking for a complete package that performs well in all parameters, the Gaun Sheep & Goat Single Feeder is worth considering. It features an excellent 21” height that is ideal for goats and sheep.
Since this goat feeder features Spanish metal, you can expect excellent durability and shock resistance. Additionally, its adequate spacing ensures that your animals will never have issues while feeding on this feeder. The wide opening also allows your animals to move in and out without getting stuck.
Its well-designed structure prevents the feed from falling, minimizing wastage and promoting your farm’s productivity. Furthermore, the feeder’s base comes with a feeding tray that allows you to serve grains to your herd.
You can hang this goat feeder with two metal hooks on your gate, board, or panel. Since its construction is excellent, you will have no issues with its durability.
Apart from providing wide openings, this goat feeder comes with height adjustability, allowing you to adjust the height according to your requirements.
- Versatile feeder for both goats and sheep
- It minimizes feed wastage
- Durable with wide openings
- Easy to set up
- It ensures healthy living and food consumption
- Freestanding structure
- You can hang it according to your requirements
- Excellent design
- You cannot hang this goat feeder on the fence
- It can feed only two goats at a time
2. Creative Co-Op Metal Trough Container
Metal trough containers are famous for their sturdy structures and are one of the best feeders for small animals, such as sheep, pigs, and goats. The design allows goats to feed without breaking a sweat.
Since it is lightweight, you can position this goat feeder according to your requirements. Additionally, its flat surface ensures stability and sturdiness.
With dimensions measuring 19.5x7x6 inches, this feeder is one of the best goat feeders for average-sized animals. Since the measurements are compact, you can place this feeder in tight spaces, stalls, pens, or outdoors.
The design also ensures minimal food wastage as it prevents hay from falling. Furthermore, this design also protects your animals from contaminated foods.
The build quality is excellent as well. Its metallic construction is sturdy and durable and will survive odd fights between animals or other climatic factors. Additionally, the wide spacing ensures that the animals get enough space to enjoy their food.
- Lightweight design
- Durable with wide spacing for better feeding
- Minimal feed wastage
- You can serve different feed types, including grain, pellets, and hay
- It comes with an excellent holding capacity
- You have to ensure that it stays away from wet conditions, especially rain, to prevent rust and aging
3. Behlen Country 74023327 8-feet V Trough Feeder
If you are considering a V-shaped trough feeder, the Behlen V Trough Feeder is worth considering. Its innovative design makes it ideal for many commercial farms as it ensures minimal feed wastage and increases productivity.
The design is sturdy and durable, and the presence of drain holes ensures that your feeder will stay dry in most conditions. Additionally, the advanced paint compliments the steel structure to enhance the feeder’s life.
With dimensions measuring 96x32x14 inches, this goat feeder offers enough room for six goats. It is a perfect choice for those with a large herd as you will feed more animals in one go.
The legs provide stability to the structure, and the bar prevents animals from jumping or damaging the food or the feeder. You can serve grain, chaffhaye, weeds, and hay to your animals using this goat feeder.
- High-quality materials ensure durability and resistance
- It comes with two drain holes for draining water
- It ensures minimal wastage and food contamination
- It comes with wide spacing to prevent damage
- You can feed up to six goats
- The durable V-shaped stand provides excellent stability
- Not ideal for small or younger animals
4. Fortiflex 2 Compartment Feeder
With an easy installation setup and sturdy construction, the Fortiflex 2 is an excellent option for those looking for goat feeders. This feeder comes with two compartments that offer two separate feeding spaces.
You can keep two different supplements or vitamins in these compartments for your goats. Additionally, the two containers also allow two goats to feed together without bothering the other.
The dimensions of this feeder are ideal for pigs and goats, and you will have no issues while feeding them. Furthermore, the lightweight design will allow you to place this feeder anywhere according to your requirements.
The use of heavy-duty HDPE rubber ensures that it can withstand environmental elements with ease. You can attach this goat feeder with the help of screws and adjust its height accordingly.
Overall, it is one of the best goat feeders that we have tested while writing this review.
- You can place this goat feeder according to your desired height
- Easy to clean
- High-quality HDPE rubber construction
- It comes with two separate compartments
- You can provide different feeding items in one serving
- Ideal for goats and pigs
- No screws with the product
- Not ideal for a large herd
5. Priefert Feeder
If you are looking for a specific goat feeder that allows you to feed grains with hay, the Priefert Feeder is undoubtedly worth considering. This feeder is excellent for a small herd.
The feeder comes with a metal rack on the top, which allows you to place hay. Since the top shelf is at a decent height, you can even use it to feed horses. The bottom part houses a tray or tub that allows you to place chaffhaye or grain.
The design incorporates galvanized steel metal with modern engineering, which provides a high-quality feeder. You can expect this feeder to last and withstand all environmental elements with ease.
The addition of brackets on the feeder’s back allows you to hang it according to your requirements. You can install or place this feeder anywhere you like, including lumber rails and panels as per your needs.
Despite weighing 49 pounds, this feeder is easy to deal with, and the powder coating resists scratches and rust. Additionally, the UV inhibitors enhance durability and will provide its service for a long time.
- Easy to place food items with top and bottom racks
- It reduces feed wastage
- Durable and withstands the effects of weathering
- Easy to install
- Corrosion and rust-resistant
- High-quality steel construction
- It comes with bolt-on brackets
- Not ideal for a large herd
6. Shires Haynet 2” Mesh Holes 1024
Hay nets have gained in popularity in recent years because of their ease of use and simplicity. If you are looking for an easy-to-install hay net option, the Shires Haynet will suffice all your needs.
This hay net comes with a 2” mesh that provides enough feeding space for your goats. Since mesh obstructs fast-feeding, your goats will stick to the natural way of feeding slow, beneficial for your herd.
With dimensions measuring 9.8×6.3×2.7, this hay net ensures minimal wastage. You also have enough room to place six flakes of hay, which is a perfect amount for feeding.
One of the significant benefits of using hay nets is their weight, making them lightweight and easy to maneuver. You can hang this feeder anywhere on your farm and adjust its height according to your requirements.
You can hang this hay net on fences, trees, barns, and stalls. The high-quality construction ensures that the hay net stays put and survives the strong bites of your animals.
Additionally, the slow feeding process ensures better digestion and sound health of your herd. Overall, it is one of the best goat feeders on this list.
- Mimics the natural slow feeding process of the animals
- It is cheaper than other goat feeders
- Reduces hay wastage
- You can adjust the height according to your requirements
- High-quality and sturdy net
- Easy to fill and hang
- You can place it anywhere on the farm
- It keeps your feeds safe and secure
- You can only use it to feed hay
7. Little Giant Plastic Fence Feeder with Clips
If you want a specific goat feeder that you can hang on your fence, the Little Giant fence feeder is worth considering. This goat feeder features heavy-duty metal clips that ensure stability while your goats feed on this feeder.
The design ensures minimal feed wastage, and the polyethylene plastic can withstand most climatic elements. Its dimensions are also adequate for various animals, including calves, sheep, miniature horses, and goats, making it ideal for many farm owners.
Whether you mount it permanently on a wall or install it temporarily, the Little Giant Plastic fence feeder will never disappoint. Overall, it is one of the best goat feeders that is lightweight and provides value for money.
- It features a sturdy and durable construction
- It can resist various weather conditions and heavy impacts
- High-quality, durable polyethylene resin
- Easy to install
- You can place different feeds, including pellets, grains, liquid food, and water
- Adequate dimensions ensure minimal wastage
- It may not be ideal for a large herd
8. Rugged Ranch feeder
As the name suggests, the Rugged Ranch goat feeder will withstand all climatic conditions and heavy impacts. A farm owner’s common problems include the hustling and fighting between goats when food is placed. It can lead to injuries to the animals or damage to the feeder.
Thankfully, this goat feeder uses heavy-duty galvanized steel to ensure long-lasting durability and strength. Its structural design allows farm owners to place grain and forage simultaneously. Additionally, the grain tray located under the mesh minimizes hay wastage.
The dimensions of this feeder provide enough room for feeding two animals. Since it comes with a top and bottom rack, you don’t need to buy a separate feeder to feed other items, such as grain or chaffhaye.
You can hang this feeder anywhere on your farm using two U brackets. Places such as chipboard, pipe coral, wood, or stall walls would be ideal for hanging this feeder. Additionally, the round inward edges are an excellent safety measure for the animals and the farm owner.
- It comes with two feeding racks
- The bottom tray minimizes feed wastage and can be used to place grain and chaffhaye
- High-quality galvanized steel construction
- Inward edges for safety
- Easy to install
- Ideal for a small herd
- No drain holes
9. Intrepid International Hay Rack-Wall Mounted
The Intrepid hay rack is undoubtedly worth considering if you are looking for an easy-to-install and minimalistic design. Its heavy-duty structure consists of steel rods, which hold hay with ease. You can use this feeder to feed many animals, including sheep, horses, alpacas, and goats.
With dimensions measuring 33x27x12 inches, this feeder has enough room to hold half a bale of hay. You can mount it on a wall using the two hooks without breaking a sweat. Additionally, the rounded edges ensure that your herd stays safe while feeding.
Its lightweight design makes it a charm for farm owners, and the powder-coated finish ensures longevity and durability. The feeder can withstand most environmental elements and provides rust and aging protection.
Overall, it is one of the best goat feeders with a minimalistic and easy to install design.
- Lightweight and easy to install
- Round and smooth edges ensure better safety
- Heavy-duty and durable construction
- Minimal hay wastage
- You can hook this feeder according to your requirements
- Easy to clean
- It features a large opening
- Easy to maintain
- You can only place hay
- No screws provided
10. Shires Deluxe Net
If you are looking only for a hay feeder with a sturdy design, the Shires Deluxe Net is worth considering. This hay net comes with a large ring that ensures the smooth flow of the hay.
The sturdy net and metal quality ensure durability, which allows it to withstand most environmental elements with ease. You can place this net anywhere on the farm according to your requirements.
One of the top qualities of this net is its slow feeding process. Since the net prolongs the feeding time, your animals will have better digestion and improved efficiency.
The design ensures minimal hay wastage, making this feeder cost-efficient and an ideal option for most farm owners. Additionally, its large capacity and slow feeding process ensure that you can rest for hours before filling the net again.
Overall, it is one of the best goat feeders that you can purchase.
- The slow feeding process improves digestion
- Durable and sturdy net construction
- Ideal for goats, alpacas, sheep, and horses
- Easy to hang
- You can hang it anywhere on the farm according to your requirements
- Easy to clean
- You cannot place other food items
Frequently asked questions
What are the different types of goat feeders?
Goat feeders have several variations and styles, with each having its advantages and disadvantages. Here are the three common types of goat feeders.
- Grain/hay feeders – These feeders have two different racks and are more efficient in reducing feed wastage. The bottom rack gathers the spills and reduces contamination.
- Trough feeders – They are the best option for larger herds. These feeders have a large feeding capacity, and you can place food for up to six animals simultaneously.
- Hay nets – Hay nets are the most versatile and cheapest goat feeders that you can get. Additionally, these feeders encourage a slow feeding process, which improves your herd’s digestion and overall health.
Which is the best hay for goats?
Alfalfa hay is one of the top choices of many professional and commercial farm owners. This hay consists of more minerals, proteins, and vitamins than other hay variants. Additionally, it provides calcium and energy to milking goats.
How much hay does a goat need?
A goat would require 2-4 pounds of hay, depending on its size. You can feed them twice per day and improve their rumen functioning.
Can you feed goats with sheep food products?
Yes, you can feed sheep feed to goats. Additionally, you can add a copper mineral supplement to your goat feed to boost its health.
So which goat feeder will you try on your farm?
Choosing a goat feeder depends on your herd size. For instance, the trough feeder will suffice your requirements if you have a large herd and plenty of mouths to feed. Likewise, you can choose between the net feeders or dual feeders according to your needs.
We believe this article will help you improve your farm’s productivity and efficiency.